On paper, the Metropolitan division probably should have been the favorite in the 3v3 All-Star tournament. With players from three of the top four teams in the NHL, they had plenty of talent hitting the ice against the Atlantic division in their opening round game.
For the first half and part of the second, it was a back and forth contest that favored the Atlantic division more times than not.
Tavares, paired with Columbus Blue Jacket forward Cam Atkinson, formed the best duo of the night so far, with each registering four points on the night.
In the losing effort, Vincent Trocheck and Nikita Kucherov may have been the next best duo, each tallying goals, the latter with multiple. They both finished the night with four points, including this fancy passing play in front of the net.
A lot of goals have been left on the board due to players trying to be too fancy. This wasn’t one of those times.
With the win, the Metropolitan division will now square off with the Pacific to decide the winner of the 2017 All-Star game.
- Fans have been hoping to get a chance to see the two best players from this generation play alongside each other. Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin did, and despite a rough start to the night, they each finished with a goal and assist.
- Crosby was just about at his best, displaying some beautiful moves to get around defenders, but was unable to finish on multiple occasions.
- Wayne Simmonds was the star early on, scoring two of the game’s first three goals. He displayed his wide array of skills on his first, flashing speed, strength and finesse all in beating Carey Price.
- Braden Holtby made some dazzling saves during his half of play, including one with the glove point blank on Brad Marchand.
- In his first ever All-Star game, Auston Matthews scored a goal. Getting the puck in the slot with no one nearby, he was able to take his time as there wasn’t an effort in covering him.
MAS – Simmonds (1), Unassisted
AAS – Kucherov (1), Trocheck, Hedman
MAS – Simmonds (2), Unassisted
AAS – Hedman (1), Kucherov, Trocheck
AAS – Karlsson (1), Okposo
MAS – Tavares (1), Atkinson
AAS – Matthews (1), Marchand, Weber
MAS – Tavares (2), Atkinson, Faulk
MAS – Jones (1), Unassisted
MAS – Hall (1), Unassisted
AAS – Kucherov (2), Trocheck
MAS – Crosby (1), Faulk, Ovechkin
MAS – Atkinson (1), Tavares
MAS – Atkinson (2), Tavares
AAS – Trocheck (1), Kucherov
MAS – Ovechkin (1), Crosby, Faulk